The image depicts the original frontage of the Albion Flour Mill on the Thames, built in the style of an 18th century country house and opened in 1788. From its rooftop London’s first 360 degree panoramic paintings were created by Robert and Henry Barker. In the early 1790s panoramas became a great public attraction; a special diorama was constructed in Leicester Square to display this work. Through the windows of the Mill can be seen the (Albion) Crusader masthead of the Daily Express newspaper which occupied the same site between 1989 and 2015. The site is currently being redeveloped as a mixed-use 48 storey towerblock.
20”x16” (406 mm x 508 mm)