Two years after opening, the CLELC quickly expanded. From 1893 it became known as Bankside A Power Station (lasting until its decommissioning 66 years later in 1959). It had an engine room some 230 ft (70 m) long and 50 ft (15 m) wide, with two 200 kW, two 350 kW and two 400 kW alternators driven by Willans engines. The buildings comprised a boiler house, by then containing 22 boilers, 18 chimneys, generators and a switch house, built at right angles to Meredith Wharf. This enabled coal to be delivered (and ash removed) by barge, as well as the facility to draw water directly from the Thames.
20”x16” (406 mm x 508 mm)